Sunday, November 13, 2005

Browser Switch

I just switched from Netscape 8 to Firefox. I was running Netscape 8 because I liked how it let me view pages using either Firefox or IE, and it has a lot of good features built it (password management, pop up blocking, tabbed browsing, etc). The problem was, it took way too long to load and it kept crashing. I made the switch to Firefox hoping to find the same features (minus the ability to run IE), but I am now going through the process of installing the extensions that give me those features. I have already installed Tab Mixed Plus and JavaScript console. If you use Tab Mixed Plus, how long did it take you to figure out how to configure it properly? Are there any other extensions that are must haves?

As a reward for helping me out, check out this article in press from PNAS:
An index to quantify an individual's scientific research output
J.E. Hirsch
I propose the index h, defined as the number of papers with citation number ≥h, as a useful index to characterize the scientific output of a researcher.
Yes, that's the entire abstract. Hat tip to Richard Gayle. I can't downloaded the PDF from home because my university's library gateway is currently down. If it's interesting, I may comment on it tomorrow when I hook in to the university network.

I need to get back to work shortening a grant proposal to the maximum page length (this has been a procrastination post). I'm caught in a Catch-22 between explaining everything for someone not familiar with bioinformatics and molecular population genetics, not lingering on unnecessary details, and providing enough information for someone who is familiar with the literature in these fields to make an informed evaluation. The entire thing is written, and now I'm selectively pruning.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home