Tuesday, September 20, 2005

I guess I'm an academic

Overview:
The following survey is for bloggers who are actual or aspiring academics (thus including students). It takes the form of a go-meme to provide bloggers a strong incentive to join in: the 'Link List' means that you will receive links from all those who pick up the survey 'downstream' from you. The aim is to create open-source data about academic blogs that is publicly available for further analysis. Analysts can find the data by searching for the tracking identifier-code: "acb109m3m3". Further details, and eventual updates with results, can be found on the original posting:http://pixnaps.blogspot.com/2005/09/academic-blog-survey.html

Instructions:
Simply copy and paste this post to your own blog, replacing my survey answers with your own, as appropriate, and adding your blog to the Link List.

Important (1) Your post must include the four sections: Overview, Instructions, Link List, and Survey. (2) Remember to link to every blog in the Link List. (3) For tracking purposes, your post must include the following code: acb109m3m3

Link List (or 'extended hat-tip'):
1. Philosophy, et cetera
2. Pharyngula
3. evolgen
4. Add a link to your blog here

Survey:
Demographics
Age - 25
Gender - Male
Location - Central Pennsylvania, USA
Religion - None.
Began blogging - Nov 2004
Academic field - Biology (Evolutionary Genetics)
Academic position [tenured?] - Graduate Student [yeah, right!]

Approximate blog stats
Rate of posting - once or twice a week
Average no. hits - about 50-100/day
Average no. comments - 2-3/post
Blog content - Evolutionary Genetics

Other Questions
1) Do you blog under your real name? Why / why not?
- I use a pseudonym, but it's not very clever. I want this blog to be somewhat anonymous, but it's not too tough to figure out who I am. I don't want this to be the first thing that comes up if you google my name, and, conviniently, it does not.

2) Do colleagues or others in your department know that you blog? If so, has anyone reacted positively or negatively?
- My advisor knows that I have this site, but that's because someone else told him. I don't know if he ever comes here, but I do know he frequents The Panda's Thumb and other evolution sites. I was asked at a meeting once if this was my site, since some grad students and post docs at another school stumbled upon a post I put up (I think this is how my advisor heard about it). They seemed to be cool with it and agreed with what I wrote. The only negative response I could predict is that I'm wasting my time and I should be focusing on my work.

3) Are you on the job market?
- I will be in a couple of years. Any PIs out there looking for a post doc with experience using both wet lab and computational approaches to study evolutionary genetics (specifically genome rearrangements and gene duplication)?

4) Do you mention your blog on your CV or other job application material?
- No. I even took the link to this site off my personal webpage because I would like to maintain some distance between my blog and my academic carreer.

5) Has your blog been mentioned at all in interviews, tenure reviews, etc.? If so, provide details.
- No. Maybe it'll come up at a committee meeting or my thesis defense, but I doubt it.

6) Why do you blog?
- Chixdiggit! Oh, and it provides a nice arena to practice my writing (I ain't no English major, that's for sure) and put down some ideas and reactions to things I read/see that I would normally just allow to float around in my head. And I want PZ Myers to think I'm cool . . .

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home